On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM, James Lampert
<jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Charles Wilt wrote:
Also, if you plan for the users to sign on through JDBC with there own
user ID, you could make the tables PUBLIC *EXLCUDE and offer a view
that includes something to the effect of
create view myview
 as SELECT col1, col2
      from mytable
      where SALE_REP = CURRENT_USER;

Fascinating. A view that checks some field against the current user.
Just out of morbid curiosity, is there a DDS Select/Omit equivalent to
the above WHERE clause?

Not that I'm aware of...views are lots more powerful than logical files.

Rob Berendt wrote:

Another thought is, instead of playing whack a mole with ways people can
access the data, you could just secure out all people from all data.  Then
they could only access data from your stored procedures.

Can third-party reporting tools (we seem to be leaning towards something
called "BIRT"; anybody here heard of it?) access the data through stored
procedures?

From http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/project/notable2.0.php
"BIRT now supports calling stored procedures. "

For a BI tool, I'd think the the auto-restricting views would be a
more natural fit. For regular applications, the stored procedure only
access method is a good fit.

HTH,
Charles