Thanks, Chuck.

I'll try \r\n (and maybe just \r) when I get back to work on Thursday.

I appreciate the response.

Dennis Lovelady
There will be a rain dance Friday, weather permitting

On 3/9/11 12:32 PM, Dennis wrote:
<<SNIP>>
The reason I noticed this is that I sent a file like this to a
Windows system using ASCII mode, and the Windows system shows no LF
(of course), and instead views it as one streamed line.

What would be the appropriate CCSID for me to use for such an
operation? Following on to that, should I (not) be able to specify
one CCSID for most purposes and be done with it (assuming I'm only
using IBM i, Windows and Linux systems in US English)? Or is CCSID
even the problem?!?!
Maybe I should be using something other than "...\n" in my
printf() ?

While *nix [and emulation] might be happy with the effects as coded,
I think for output sent to Windoze, using the "\r\n" in the printf() is
more desirable; i.e. "\r\n" used to effect CRLF which an application in
Windoze might prefer [by default].

However I would have expected 0x0A for ASCII LF as translated from
the EBCDIC 0x25 LF [Line Feed] which I expected from "\n", not the 0x85
which appears to be the ASCII NEL [NExt Line] corresponding to the
EBCDIC 0x15 NL [New Line] control character. Hmmm, too long since I
have used a printf() to recall accurately the effects for "\n" in
EBCDIC... so maybe that will not resolve, even if 0x0D for "\r" should
make a Windoze [text viewer\editor] program happier or at least the
output prettier :-)

FWiW: the choices in ENDLINFMT() as with CYPTOSTMF, reflect the
difference between what each OS might prefer [by default], and a user
application might perform or offer something similar for when the
target
of the text data is known.

Regards, Chuck
list