Well the 720 and the 250 are about a wash in 'spec power' at 750 amd 782 watts respectively. That said, what you GET for those watts is a little different. The biggest 250 was 75 (Seventy five!) CPW (20 interactive) while the teeeeeeniest 720 is nearly 6,000 CPW (one core) and as much as 46,300 with all eight cores going. So a one core 720 is equal to Eighty 250s in CPU capability. IN practice I would expect the 720 to draw far less than that and I measured a 2-core system with 6 drives closer to 100 Watts with IBM i 7.1 simply idling. (No user work at the time.)

The 720 also comes with a 3 year warranty so you drop maintenance cost.

I also did a comparison of a POWER5 550 to a POWER7 750 and the ratio there is 100 to 1 on power per CPW. That is the 750 generates 100 times more CPW per input Watt than a 550! That's a lot of savings!

- Larry