with date_tbl as (select dte1, ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY dte1) as Date_Nbr
from ctsc_w.pete
group by dte1)
select p.fld1, p.dte1, Date_Nbr, p.dte2
from ctsc_w.pete P
order by date_Nbr;

HTH,
Charles

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Pete Helgren <pete@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am have a data set that looks like the following:

BB8179      04/17/11     04/02/11
BE7214      04/17/11     04/02/11
BD9607      04/17/11     04/02/11
BB6382      04/17/11     04/02/11
BB7942      04/17/11     04/02/11
BE7487      04/17/11     04/02/11
BE7488      04/18/11     04/02/11
BE2178      04/18/11     04/02/11
BE1618      04/18/11     04/02/11
BE7489      04/18/11     04/02/11
BE2179      04/18/11     04/02/11
BD9608      04/21/11     04/02/11
BE2180      04/21/11     04/02/11
BE8955      04/21/11     04/02/11
BE1696      04/21/11     04/02/11

What I would like to do is count the unique occurrences of the first
date column.  Something like:

BB8179      04/17/11   1  04/02/11
BE7214      04/17/11   1  04/02/11
BD9607      04/17/11   1  04/02/11
BB6382      04/17/11   1  04/02/11
BB7942      04/17/11   1  04/02/11
BE7487      04/17/11   1  04/02/11
BE7488      04/18/11   2  04/02/11
BE2178      04/18/11   2  04/02/11
BE1618      04/18/11   2  04/02/11
BE7489      04/18/11   2  04/02/11
BE2179      04/18/11   2  04/02/11
BD9608      04/21/11   3 04/02/11
BE2180      04/21/11   3  04/02/11
BE8955      04/21/11   3  04/02/11
BE1696      04/21/11   3  04/02/11

Actually there are more columns involved here but this data set
illustrates the challenge.  Can't seem to wrap my head around the whole
thing but I may need a subselect to get the count of the occurrences...

Thanks

--
Pete Helgren
Value Added Software, Inc