On 2/22/11 3:18 PM, sjl wrote:
Explain to me the V5R4 manual has a sample DRDA exit program that is
written in PL/I?

Some of the sample programs were written in PL/I [denoted sometimes as PL/1] since most testcases were written in PL/I; i.e. the samples were derived from testcases for the function being tested :-)

Did IBM not drop support for this language?

Effectively.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/ddp/rbal1exitpgms.htm

The full LPP [licensed program product] was eliminated, and the feature was made available only as a PRPQ [Programming Request for Price Quotation], which upon purchase request, the separately purchased feature can be delivered and then installed as an LPP. I am not sure of the LPP identifier on v5, but apparently 5799-HLG for v6r1 [IBM i 6.1] per:
http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/ibmi/enewsletterexclusive/21421p1.aspx

Optionally with "site:ibm.com", some more links from:
http://www.google.com/search?q="pl/i"+prpq+v5r4

Not sure which claim if any of below is correct:

v5r4 L/I (PRPQ 5799-FPJ) per:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/apiref/lang.htm

v5r4 PL/I (PRPQ 5799-GKK) per [plus some PTF recommendations]:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc/browse_thread/thread/6847f11d7cd62926

Regards, Chuck