I don't disagree with your basic premise of going 7.1 instead of 6.1,
but out of curiousity, can you highlight for me what new feature(s)
are in 7.1 vs 5.3 or 5.4 that will save money over a vendor supplied
package or by some productivity gain ?

PDF printing is about the only one I can think of and I wouldn't
regard that by itself as a compelling reason to upgrade (in fact I'd
be embarrassed to lead a "why you should upgrade with this as the best
reason I could think of). Every other feature really was a minor
improvement that adds nothing to a stable shop running a package an
not doing much of anything else.

Offset the cost savings you imply (which I believe to be virtually
non-existent) against the cost of upgrading:
- Object Conversion
- Package updates/upgrades as a result of object conversion
- Potential changes due to Java SDK changes (7.1)
- Potential changes to deal with Anynet withdrawal (7.1)

Don't forget, for those customers still on V5R3 going to V7R1 is not a
supported upgrade (forget the fact that they shouldn't be, they are
out there).

The reality is for those customers that were wavering or uncommitted
6.1/7,1 is a tough sell. There is fair degree of effort required to go
to either release from V5R4