I haven't looked through all of this thread, but in response to this reply, I can say that the IBM recommendation was based upon the fact that once space was used up by a user/data queue, it could never be reclaimed except by queue rebuild. Later a parameter was added: AUTORCL (@Automatic Reclaim - default *NO), but last I knew that was only effective on a completely empty queue. If even one message remains (remained?) in the queue, the space would not be reclaimed.

Seems the perfect place for implementation of circular-buffer logic; don't know why IBM never opted to go that route.