We are using CPYF with FMTOPT(*MAP) to convert data from a given CCSID to
Unicode by copying the data from the file with a given CCSID to a new file
with corresponding fields that are defined as CCSID(1208).

CPYF issues CPF2958 (Conversion error occurred copying from-file field
value) when it encounters a data error - not terminal error, it just puts a
default value (blanks) into the to-file field.

In the particular example that I am looking at, the from-file is CCSID(939)
{double-byte Japanese) and the data in field which causes the error has one
shift-out X'0E' but there is an extra shift-in character X'0F' at the end of
the field - probably a record that was converted from the old system but has
never been touched by the interactive file maintenance program.

However, only the first 10 records with conversion errors cause CPF2958 to
be issued - CPF2959 is also issued, which indicates that field conversion
errors occurred, but that only the first 10 records with errors are listed.
In this case there were over 250 records with conversion errors.

In any case, it appears that we need to write a program to analyse/cleanse
the data in the from-file to fix the fields containing double-byte
characters, but it would be /nice/ if IBM would issue CPF2958 error for
every record that had conversion errors, since CPF2958 also indicates the
RRN of the records with errors.

- sjl