So a NEP is running in a user job in the subsystem, such that if someone issues an ENDJOB and the RAGE transpires, the subsystem has not really ended but the NEP falsely concludes and reports the subsystem has ended.?

While I would generally accept that implementation for my own use as well [i.e. I find it perfectly acceptable, but I would also enable the job as self-submitted to a single-threaded job queue, behind itself], I do not see how that implementation is any less of a "work around" than some other suggestions that have been made, because the termination processing would not be running in the subsystem monitor job itself; i.e. the RAGE would need to occur as the effect of the subsystem ending, not as the effect of the user NEP job ending, in order to conclude that the subsystem is ending.

Regards, Chuck