Various CAST UDF and UDF as replacements for various Scalar functions may be an effective requirement for most to utilize a UDT. There are many disincentives for using a UDT, not least of which is [use of the non-SQL feature of] restore. I actually have little experience using them, because the negatives I experienced were so great as to discourage using them. Perhaps some glowing review of the benefits outweighing the costs might convince me otherwise.

Regards, Chuck