Not sure if my company is in the minority, but we have many iSeries systems, many Power systems running I, and we value the platform greatly. I think part of that is the fact that most of our hardware presence is in Europe, the Middle East, Latin America, and Asia. We are bringing in New applications and the preferred platform is the Power running I, not windowz.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Needles,Stephen J
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 10:05 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: IBM BP's that used to be ISERIES now migrating to windows ?

It is not only the migration by business and BP's that are moving away from the IBM i platform, it is the academic one.

The average age of our IBM i development staff has got to be approaching 50. The .Net component of our shop's average age is closer to 30. I can't recall the last tech interview I'd done for the IBM i that the candidate was under 40 years.

No schools seem to be teaching the benefits of the IBM i.

With no "young blood", it is just a matter of time and attrition.

Steve Needles