Mike,

I have done a bunch, and they have all gone really smooth. When you
go from V5R4 to 7.1, you should read the memo to users for both releases
(6.1 & 7.1), and make sure you run ANZOBJCVN to figure out what application
programs won't convert. In addition, you need to make sure you have the
minimum release of your FSP firmware (for the release you are going to)
permanently applied before the upgrade, check out the informational APARs
for the release, as you need to get the PTFs required for the upgrade
(Database Cross Reference PTFs, Image Catalogue PTFs, and upgrade PTFs).
Insure you have the latest release for the I_BASE_01 so that it will make
the upgrade quicker, and the PTF installation quicker. If you are running
WAS, Domino, JAVA, or MQ make sure you verify the releases that will work
with 7.1, as there are many issues with having the right release.

By the way, I am doing a webcast with IBM next Tuesday on upgrading
to IBM i 7.1. On Tuesday February 8, 2011 from 2pm Eastern time IBM is
having a webcast on "Upgrading your IBM i" . You can register for the
presentation at the link below. Guy Paradise, World Wide IBM i Marketing
Manager will highlight and summarize all the IBM i offerings delivered in
2010 and their value. Mark Olson, IBM Power Systems World Wide Product
Manager will cover some of the technical details of moving up to the latest
hardware. Steve Will Chief Architect: IBM i Operating System will cover
the value of IBM i and new features & functions of 7.1. Pete Massiello of
iTech Solutions will cover real world experiences in moving clients up to
the latest Hardware & Operating System levels (6.1 & 7.1). To Register -

https://event.on24.com/eventRegistration/EventLobbyServlet?target=registrati
on.jsp&eventid=279216&sessionid=1&key=B15996E80A6C68E2FA300C22885500C9&partn
erref=mminstallaix&sourcepage=register

I hope this helps,

Pete

--
Pete Massiello
iTech Solutions

Add iTech Solutions on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126431824120
Add iTech Solutions on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2206093

iTech Solutions because IBM i (AS/400s) didn't come with System
Administrators