We upgraded over the weekend and when the distribution department started
shipping the time to produce a label increased drastically from 2-3 seconds
to 15-20 seconds.

Here is what happens when a Fed Ex overnight or next day is requested:

1) Fed Ex Server is contacted with a request for a shipment from the i
using FedEx API.

2) Fed Ex Server creates a label (file) and responds to the i with the
tracking number and some additional info.

3) i FTPs to the server and gets the label table (MMDDYY+Tracking
number + . + type (288=ZPLII, 299=EPL2 based on printer to print) and puts
on the i IFS directory /FedEx

4) The file is translated to EBCDIC, parsed, some control characters
are put in depending on ZPL,EPL, and then translated back to ASCII

5) A socket is established to the printer (contained in a table) where
it is to print (this bypasses the i printer management to speed it up),

6) The table is passed directly to the printer and printed.

7) The table is deleted from the IFS (since it's also stored on the
FedEx Server, no need to take up space)

The network people looked to see if contacting the server or FTP from the
server to the i was taking longer and it was not.

I have a feeling the problem is with the IFS portion starting at #4.

I used Scott's stuff for the IFS manipulation and the socket connections,
it's been working fine for at least 3 years with the 2-3 second response.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of problem on an
upgrade from V5R4M0 to V7R1M0.

I am going to test just the portion from 4 down tomorrow and was hoping
maybe a PTF or something was the problem.

TIA,

Craig