On 1/24/11 11:47 AM, rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Then there's the question:
If you are not running folders (those items underneath QDLS) but
instead are only using directories (like other stream based IFS
directories)
and,
you are not using SNADS (SNDNETSPLF, etc)
Then do you care about WRKDIRE anymore?

If the question means to suggest perhaps ignoring the more generic advice is acceptable, then I suggest that such an assessment misses the point. The point is that there are any number of conversions that the "install\upgrade" of the OS and its features will effect; conversions that those who are not "in the know" might be totally unaware, and those conversions have a design point for which there is only support of N+2 which needs to function with success. Thus irrespective of *which* effects of conversions are necessary for consumption [thus even if not using directory entries, the effects of other conversions might still be required], if any one or more conversions fail and thus cause the upgrade to fail or the effects of the upgrade conversions to be unpredictable, then any decision not to consider the requirements and restrictions could result in more difficulties than one might desire to deal with.

So FWiW... Another example perhaps more generally relevant are the TCP\IP configuration files; something to which Pete or Larry alluded. There is almost surely no support to [convert during the] upgrade the TCP\IP configuration objects and data from the v4r3 format to the v7r1 format. As I had alluded, the very down-level objects should not be restored, and the user data should be exported at the pre-"N-2" down-level release [even if just recorded on paper] and then imported on the newest release.

Regards, Chuck