That's also true with rexec to the PC. Some daemon needs to be
running, like the IBM Incoming Remote Command or some other rexec
daemon.

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 8:28 AM, tim <tim.dclinc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I had wanted to use RUNRMCMD, but the restriction of user id of 10 long
would not work. That's why I went with rexec.

When I do use RUNRMTCMD, I have to make sure the ibm remote service job is
running on the pc I issue the command to. Im not sure if that is why its not
working.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:03 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: REXEC (RUNRMTCMD) between IBM i systems

I've noted with interest the discussions here about REXEC, and I did
some experimenting.  I was able to execute a RUNRMTCMD on one IBM i
pointing to another using *IP, but it never seems to execute on the
target machine.  I tried something simple: WRKACTJOB, both OUTPUT(*) and
OUTPUT(*PRINT).  If I don't have the REXEC server running, the command
fails on the source machine (as I would expect), but when I start the
REXEC server the commands completes on the source machine but I never
see anything on the target machine that I can find. No spooled files, no
job logs, no entries in QHST.  I look at the various QTRXC jobs on the
target machine and I don't see anything that even makes it look like
they are receiving or processing a request.

Am I just trying something that won't work?  It seemed like a simple way
to execute a command on another machine.

Joe