If I run a STRASPBAL TYPE(*MP) it is supposed to move data which does not
have a preference noted with
CHGPF FILE(GDIDIVF/IIM) UNIT(*SSD)
off of my SSD's to HDD's. My question is, does it keep them there?
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/cl/straspbal.htm

I think I found the answer. According to "IBM i 7.1 Technical Overview"
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg247858.pdf
I can check the following:
STRSST
1. Start a service tool
4. Display/Alter/Dump
1. Display/Alter storage
2. Licensed Internal Code (LIC) data
14. Advanced analysis
Option Command
1 SMGETSTAYOFFSSD
Leave "Options" blank
DISPLAY/ALTER/DUMP
Running macro: SMGETSTAYOFFSSD
Non-Media Preference will go to best unit for System & User ASPs.

So, if instead of running SMGETSTAYOFFSSD I use SMSETSTAYOFFSSD it will
enforce UNIT(*SSD). (See also SMRESETSTAYOFFSSD.)

So, should I run the STRASPBAL TYPE(*MP) -after- I set this in SST? And,
then should it stay there?

I'd also like to credit
http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/ibmi/sap_ssd/35394p2.aspx
even though I am not running SAP I found the article extremely helpful.

SSD PTF's required:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/SLKBase.nsf/1ac66549a21402188625680b0002037e/96cc89820dba056f8625761f00527104?OpenDocument

I am checking into these ptf's now. I am currently at:
PTF Group Level
SF99710 10229
SF99709 18
SF99708 3