hi Tim,

The error "host cannot be found" *usually* means that a DNS lookup failed. (And yes, I know you're using an IP address. But AFIAK, the rexec() protocol doesn't normally support them, so I bet it's looking up the host name from the address in order to use the host name instead!)

What happens if you do an nslookup on the IP address of those that do work vs. those that do not?

NSLOOKUP HOSTNAME('xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx')

Do you get the same results with those that work vs. those that do not?

What happens if you add the hosts do your host table? (NOTE: I do not recommend this as a solution -- only as a test for diagnostic purposes.)

ADDTCPHTE INTNETADR(XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX) HOSTNAME((XXX.EXAMPLE.COM))

Then try the rexec again.

If that solves the problem, it means you have a DNS issue. In that case, I'd get the DNS fixed, and remove the host table entries, and it should then work without them. (CFGTCP option 10 is an easy way to find/remove them.)

I doubt very highly that this is related to whether the rexec daemon is running. If rexec wasn't running, you'd get "A remote host refused an attempted connect operation."

Let us know what you find...