I a big fan of SQL, but this is one case where using RPG is your best bet...

SQL doesn't deal well with operations by RRN. (it causes full table scans)

There's no sense expanding your knowledge of SQL with a bad idea.

If you really want to do it, you're probably going to need a temporary table.

declare global temporary table mytbl
as (select rrn(a) as rrn_a, a.cmcust as cust_a,
rrn(b) as rrn_b, a.cmcust as cust_b
from lib1/customer a join lib2/customer b
on rrn(a) = rrn(b)
) with data;

update lib1/customer a
set cmcust = (select cust_b from mytbl z
where a.cmcust = z.cust_a);

HTH,
Charles