Good work so far!

Where did you find that your hmc is only for the other hardware?

Try this:
http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/
Product Group = System i, as a power 5 does not reside in "Power". Just
Power 6 and above. Just how IBM categories it.
Product = Firmware and HMC
Processor type = POWER5 and POWER6 class
Machine type-model = 9406-520
Continue
System Firmware
Continue
I need guidance
Continue
Installed lsmcode = SF240_358
Continue
The server is attached to an HMC
Continue
Update policy set to HMC
Continue
Either I want to update or upgrade. At your level, and where you're
going, they will be the same.

Power5 System Firmware SF240_403

<snip>
This is the latest and the recommended package for this Release Level.
Initial availability was 07 Sep 2010. Firmware updates within the SF240
Release Level can be installed concurrently, unless otherwise noted in the
firmware readme. If upgrading from an earlier Release Level or installing
without an HMC, installation of the system firmware is always disruptive.
</snip>