Hmm!

You don't CALL a service program - it should work in an SP - there were examples in that Redbook, I believe, of the necessary syntax for a service program - or else in the SQL Reference - you have to include the procedure in parentheses, as I recall.

What is interactive SQL going to do with a question mark? And there's no means for interactive SQL to get a return variable - consider whether you can get a return variable in a call to a program on a command line - same issues.

It sounds like you're going beyond the simple right now - you did not say whether you are trying to use the very simple parameter style that allows calling existing programs. If so, I'm not sure you can use a service program at all there.

Anyhow, there are specific things that have to line up for the various parameter styles - keep it simple for now, then branch out. You will find it much better when you first begin with stored procedures.

Vern