... I didn't have a second look to this. At the time I was working on this, we didn't have the time to wait for a fix or message "works as designed", anyway thanks for the renew of information

Dieter

From: "Crispin Bates" <cbates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2010 5:35 PM
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: time/date as key fields

Dieter,

The documentation is extremely clear. It says "The UUID is unique as an
identifier across all time and space and is consistent with the Open Systems
Foundation (OSF) Distributed Computing Environments (DCE) version 1 UUID
specification described in the DCE's "Architecture Environment
Specification/Distributed Computing: for Remote Procedure Calls", Appendix
A."

I have run a lot of tests generating UUID's for unique session information.
I have never seen a duplicate, in fact I have read documentation that states
that it is forced to be unique in the hardware.

I have only run this on a power 6 570, so it's not the largest machine.

In fact, a simple google search comes up with this -
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas35c6103fb07aae31686257050004d30e7

So, it was fixed at V5R3 for larger multi-processor systems. The point is,
according to the specs, it should be unique. What you came across was a bug.

I also saw your discussion on misc400, and you were told by Kent Milligan to
report it. If I had been you, I would have taken that advice...

Crispin.

----- Original Message ----- From: <dieter.bender@xxxxxxxxxxxx>