I think the intangable costs that are missing is the key. The efficiency
of the integrated OS/DB gets minimized way too much. Its magnitudes
easier to administer IBM i than it is to administer Linux/Unix with a
plethora of other DB options. And that is just one example.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

Jack Kingsley <iseriesflorida@xxxxxxxxx>
11/10/2010 01:28 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Is TPM's Linux vs. IBM i pricing comparison valid?

I didn't see a mention of hardware/software contracts and what these might
cost, I would think you would want these whether SUSE or RedHat. What
about
tools to convert from DB2 to MYSQL. I just recently started working with
LINUX and using MYSQL. I don't see allot of the midrange ERP vendors
offering LINUX ERP solutions where to convert from one platform to another
would be as easy as flipping a switch. So is the just of all of this to
prove that the TCO of LINUX on X64 would be far less than on I, seems like
allot of intangable costs that might be missing.

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx>