Vern,

It's done interactively to verify that e-mail servers are functioning properly. It's not done from a program to validate e-mail addresses.

Two completely different things.

On 11/9/2010 4:18 PM, Vern Hamberg wrote:
I'm jumping in with both feet and no shoes!!

This may not pertain here, but there are many examples on the Net of
using TELNET to port 25 for testing SMTP processes. I can't speak to
whether this is "right" - I just know it's done a lot.

One link is from Microsoft - sorry, had to say it!
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995718%28EXCHG.65%29.aspx

There are many others, if you google for "telnet smtp test". We have
knowledge base articles on doing this, as well. But it's only for
testing, you get to enter the SMTP commands yourself. We don't recommend
it for production, only as a troubleshooting tool.

Am I saying something already posted? Hope not. And also hope I'm not
appearing to contradict Scott's points.

Late in the day!
Vern