Comment below

On 11/1/2010 11:00 AM, dieter.bender@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
... shudder

Almost everything here is incorrect. You do not loose positioned updates
when using RLA, everything is positioned. You loose set based operations.
using SQL for data retrieving and writing with RLA you would have to
reposition and so loose direct positioned update (update... where current
of...)

What you suggest here is something I would never even consider - retrieve with SQL and update with RLA? That's crazy! Of course you have no positioning - that's what RLA does for you.

If I work with a table with SQL, I don't think I will EVER have an F-spec for it - utterly wrong.

Now if this is what you mean when you talk of using only one of the technologies, I have to agree. In each local situation, do NOT combine the 2. Use one or the other.

But that does not say, never use RLA anywhere! Sometimes that is the tool to use, sometimes SQL is. Just don't mix them over the same file or table or logicals or views or indexes thereof.

So I think you bring up a practice that no sane person would take up - and none of Joe's posts suggest this practice, of using one technology for reading and the other for writing or updating - to that I also shudder. But it is a straw man - no one is saying to do that.

Vern