James,

Is the is the nightly refresh that takes all night _AND__ all day?

I'd agree that seems to long. 19 million records isn't all that many.
Especially for a box the size you're dealing with. (though 16GB
seems awfully low when you've got 4TB on 53 disks)

Honestly, I'd expect to to run in less than 1hr....but that assumes
the job has the box to itself; plus I always under estimate :)

Assuming the CPU isn't going to 100%, I'd bet you're doing more I/O
than you expect.

Performance tools could tell you exactly where the time is being spent.

If you rather waste time looking at the code, look to see if a READ
and manual check of the keys is being done somewhere instead of a
READE. READ with a manual check could allow the program to work
properly, but end up reading the entire file every time instead of
just a block of records you intended. I've seen that happen
before....

You might try looking at the file I/O details shown by 14-Display Open
files of WRKJOB.

HTH,
Charles

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 7:45 PM, James H. H. Lampert