Yes. We're making progress. That message says you have a null (X'00') in the command string which is not allowed. The null is probably in the parameter buffer somewhere AFTER your command string. Look carefully at the parameter you're passing and the length of the field that is receiving that parameter in the called program.

In other words, CallString may be defined as a 80 character field in your Program A, but is defined as 128 characters long in Program X. In Program X where you do the concatenation of the CallString into your command string for QCMDEXEC you're picking up the string plus a bunch of other stuff from the data structures of Program A. Set a breakpoint in Program X on the first C spec and take a look at what's in the field you define as the receiver variable.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Needles,Stephen J
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:12 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: passing Call commands (with parms) from program to program

Tried this before and it didn't work.

'CALL PGM(PROGRAM_B) PARM(''7100110003'')'

When it wends its way through PROGRAM_X, CallString still looks like:

'CALL PGM(PROGRAM_B) PARM(''7100110003'')'

So far, so good.

Now PROGRAM_Y is submitted via QCMDEXC...

SBMJOB cmd(call PROGRAM_Y ('PROGRAM_B ' '41' 'CALL PGM(PROGRAM_B) PARM(''7100110003'')')) JOB(DUPPR0CE55) JOBD(*USRPRF) JOBQ(*JOBD) JOBPTY(3) HOLD(*JOBD)'

Job Fails:

Joblog snipett:

*NONE Request 10/20/10 10:49:35.750214 QWTSCSBJ *N QCMD QSYS 0195
Message . . . . : -CALL PGM(PROGRAM_Y) PARM('PROGRAM_B ' '41' 'CALL PGM(PROGRAM_B) PARM(''7100110003'')')

CPD0018 Diagnostic 30 10/20/10 10:49:35.828732 QCANPARS QSYS 0EFA PROGRAM_B SOMPGMLIB *STMT
To module . . . . . . . . . : PROGRAM_Y
To procedure . . . . . . . : PROGRAM_Y
Statement . . . . . . . . . : 18200
Message . . . . : String ' ' contains a character that is not valid.
Cause . . . . . : The string contains a character that is only valid in a quoted string or a comment. Recovery . . . : Remove the character that is not valid from string X'00404040404040404040', or if it is a parameter value, make the string a quoted string. More information on valid characters can be found in the CL Reference manual.

The DUMP for PROGRAM_Y shows the CallString variable to contain:

PCALLSTRING CHAR(32702) 'CALL PGM(WPSDQP2100)PARM('7100110003') '

I've been here before...if I add another pair of quotes...i end up with the variable name rather than its contents in the CallString.