Thanks for the redbook link. I figured there was one but the redbook collection is HUGE. I know that there were a number of redbooks just on printing.

John McKee

-----Original message-----
From: Dan Kimmel dkimmel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:02:25 -0500
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Forms printing

John,

I've seen lots of suggestions here and all of them should be helpful, but all the possibilies can't be addressed in these few messages.

Look at this Redbook http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg242160.pdf. You'll see that there are scads and scads of ways to do what you'd like to do.

As I recall, you came to the i from mainframe and thus, you may be familiar with ACIFS. The i has all functionality of ACIFS with some enhancements for ease of use. Most of that is done with AFP print files. You may need to add PSF/400 to your system to drive high speed IPDS printers, but you don't need it to do AFP printing.

Nearly all the printer files that come shipped with the system are SCS. Note that you can add front and back overlays to SCS spool files by defining new print files or with OVRPRTF or simply by changing the spool file attributes. The spool file contents will still be printed fixed pitch.

You can do full page formating with AFP print files and you can include overlays, page segments, bar codes, graphs, the works. The spool files can be printed through IPDS drivers or via Host Print Transform to your HP or other PCL printers. The combinations are (nearly) limitless.

Have fun,

Dan Kimmel