I think a lot of us rather than some had noticed that Simon was no longer posting. I wanted to post and ask if anyone knew anything, but I feared the worse. It wasn't at all normal that he had nothing to say. I didn't know him but it's clear he was a man with a gift. As a newcomer to the list, it was often rather daunting for me to communicate with him, such was the apparent gulf of knowledge that separated us. I don't think he suffered fools gladly at all, and I got a few <slaps> for my ignorance. I'm glad that I still have a lot of his posts on my pc that I use for reference. As he was in Australia, he was the expert I could count on to get rpg help in the morning, probably before he went home for the night.

Thanks, Dennis, for correcting his name. We won't get slapped when we meet in the great i in the sky.

PS, I tried googling for a photo of Simon, but no luck. Does anyone know if there is one on the web? The only real information I've read about him is the little interview in Who Knew You Could Do That with RPG IV

-----Message d'origine-----
De : midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Dennis Lovelady
Envoyé : vendredi 15 octobre 2010 11:10
À : 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'; 'C programming
iSeries / AS400'; 'RPG programming on the IBM i / System i'
Objet : RE: Simon Coulter

I marveled at Simon. He was brilliant and had acquired an
amazing wealth of knowledge in his IBM days that somehow kept
growing that after he left.
There seemed to be no language that Simon hadn't mastered,
though his hands-down favorite seemed to be RPG.

I'll miss his raillery, especially when it came to the C
language. (For those who did not know - and as an
understatement - Simon wasn't to be counted as a fan of the
language, although he was more than a little proficient with it.)

When he wrote his semi-private health announcement just over
two months ago, I marveled again at the strength of a man who
knew his time here was to be short, and his ability to
present the news matter-of-factly, without apparent emotion.

Simon was a pillar, and at least this one fan will miss him severely.
Though we never had opportunity to meet, we were casual
friends since the 80s, and it was this list that made that
possible. Ah, nostalgia! Thank you, Simon, for keeping it
real, interesting, and downright hilarious!

Dennis Lovelady