In order to use trigger programs to do what you want, you will need to
change the programs so they can handle the exception message. If you
are going to change the programs I think a better idea would be to
call a program before the update. This program would check if it is a
valid time and pass back true if it is. If not, it could put a message
on the screen telling the user that his update is not being processed
and pass back false.

example:

If OkToUpdate then;
Updatefile;