<snip>
Just create SQL views of IBM i tables, and run queries against them.
</snip>

Aye for that! One of the biggest complaints I hear about misuse of users
querying data is that they
get the joins wrong
or forget how to calculate on hand right
or think they have on hand right but don't account for allocated
or can't figure out field names
etc
All of which can be cured by creating decent joins.
The first thing the latest whiz bang GUI tool does is make you create meta
data or joins.

I say if you simply replace Query/400 with some GUI tool that you have
them work on the same raw data you are going to get the same headaches.
Start out by creating joins.
Some people think they have a workaround by suggesting users just copy
this query that already has the joins, and on hand calculations, etc in
there. I've found that is too prone to error.