De : midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Kelley
Shaddrick
Envoyé : mardi 14 septembre 2010 17:40
À : MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : The Future

We've all read of the impending demise of RPG green screen
programmers (30+ years here). It has been suggested that we
branch out into HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, Java, XML, SQL,
etc. The list appears to be endless. The company I work for
has NO interest in web based user interfaces. The folks who
work in the customer service, order entry, accounting, and
shipping areas have been here for years and years (they
average 20+ years). They WANT the old green screen interface.

The short story is there is no opportunity to learn any of
these "new" technologies here at work. Sure, I could grab one
of the "learn (fill in the blank) in 24 hours" books and
create my own personal website. But, in past experiences at
job interviews, these kind of "development experiences" were
not viewed in a good light. The interviewer is looking for
solid business applications development in a business environment.

So, my question to all of you is, do you know of some kind of
degree or certification program offered by an accredited
institution that one could go through that would, with the
previous 30+ years of developing business applications, help
to offset the "looking for business development experience" issue?

Kelley
--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion