Almost. Nothing stops you from saving at the device level without doing
umount, though. I still think the purpose of umount in this case is to
ensure that changes are written do the disk.

Dennis Lovelady
"Desert Storm was a stirring victory for the forces of agression and
lawlessness."
-- former US Vice President Dan Quayle

On 2010-09-13 11:56, Charles Wilt wrote:
As I read it...the problem with saving a mounted UDFS is that the
you're only getting the stream file data and its pathname. All other
attributes that are part of the directory entry in the file system
are
lost. Remember, stream files are not objects like QSYS objects.
There's no overall structure containing "attributes" of the objects
built into the stream file itself like there is with QSYS objects.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/rzaiu/rzaiu
rzaiu164.htm
<quote>
Saving a mounted UDFS

If I understand this correctly, when the UDFS is umounted, you can save
the UDFS in its physical location, and get the attributes of the UDFS
itself, as well as ALL the objects within it. IOW, you could restore it
and recreate the UDFS, as well as all objects within it, whereas if you
saved the mounted filesystem, you would have the objects in the UDFS,
but not the UDFS itself, and if you wished, you could restore some of
the files by specifying a path selector in the RST command. Is that
reasonably accurate?

- --
Pete Hall
pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx