On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 05:17, jmmckee <jmmckee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Below is the rationale for dropping sFTP. ÂDoes this make sense?

To some extent.

I get the impression that the manager believes sFTP (and ssh) is not secure. ÂOr, that ssh (and sFTP) are not as good as FTP/S.

They were using SSH with real system users - and switched over to
FTP-S with virtual users (users without a system account).

"The system supports FTPS, which is a tightening of security as it prevents excessive SSH accounts that can make the server more vulnerable. "

Of course, in the end this is bullshit - yes, the switch from system
users to virtual users tightens security, but then again there is no
real need to switch the protocol for this - you could easily provide
SSH access with virtual users.

From a protocol perspective, both FTP-S and sFTP are secure.

In other words, they're just lazy.