Pat

Do you need this at a command line, for the user to enter? That's one thing. If you can put it on a menu, that's another. For the latter, you could use prompt control and have only the items you want be displayed. Things like ?? and ?< and stuff can control this. Here is the help you see when you press F13 after prompting a command (a ? before the command name is the same as prompting with F4) -

Selective Prompting

When you use the Source Entry Utility (SEU) to enter source for a CL program, you can control which commands in that program are prompted when the CL program is run and how the parameters for those commands are displayed. You do this by entering one of the following sets of characters (followed by a blank) in the first positions of the entry field for a parameter.

Characters Description

?? Display the parameter and allow entries.

?* Display the parameter, but do not allow entries.

?/ Display the parameter, but do not allow entries. Use the default value.

?< Display the parameter and allow entries. Use the default value unless a value is entered.

?- Do not display this parameter. This parameter will not be shown when F9=All parameters is pressed.

?& Display the parameter only after F9 is pressed and allow entries. Use the default value unless a value is entered.

?% Display the parameter only after F9 is pressed, but do not allow entries. Use the default value.

In non-execute mode, when the prompt is displayed in keyword format, the selective prompt characters for each parameter are shown after the keyword. (Using SEU is an example of being in a non-execute mode.) To remove selective prompt characters previously entered for a parameter, enter -? .

If you need a command to be entered by a user, you have to create source and compile it, naming a program that will execute the IBM command. You will need to figure out what the size and data types are of the IBM command - sometimes easy, sometimes not. There's an API for that, but you might just be able to look at the prompt and figure it out.

The CL Programming guide at each release has all you need for creating commands, among other things.

HTH
Vern