Most canned software uses a bazillion printer files. Very few of them use
internally defined printer files with offsets and what not. Using
separate spool files allows more control over things like overlays, page
segments (like signatures), customizing certain things like "...on this
report I need more white space at the bottom so I did a
CHGPRTF FILE(...) OVRFLW(58)

Your logic is that if they wanted to change all their printouts to have
more white space at the bottom and to put a standard corporate overlay at
the bottom (sort of like using Cascading Style Sheets in web design) then
using a standard QPRINT makes one change affect all. There's something to
that. However, again, most canned software, and much of the custom stuff
anymore, just doesn't use internally defined printouts all set to QPRINT.

On a tangent, there are numerous packages out there that will send all
printouts in a particular output queue out as email or fax or whatever.
Such as IBM's InfoPrint server. So doing a CHGPRTF QPRINT OUTQ(INFOPRINT)
OVRSCOPE(*JOB) could cause you grief because it will affect other stuff.
Like the OP may have something in that job stream that now does this and
that's why they are getting hosed on other QPRINT stuff. Better to use a
different printer file name for that Infoprint stuff.