When I converted all files from DDS to DDL a few years back, I did 2 things:

1) I still keep the source in QDDSSRC even though it is DDL. That way,
during the project (which took a year), all source that referred to a
physical file/table or logical file/index/view was stored in the same
place. Now that I am done, I still keep it in QDDSSRC along with display
and printer file DDS. I saw no real benefit in separating them.

2) I hard coded the library name in the DDL. And the library name I use in
the source is JEFF which is the name of my test library. In this way, I
can't accidentally run that DDL and replace a production object. (I have a
DROP TABLE/INDEX/VIEW coded in the source prior to the CREATE
TABLE/INDEX/VIEW. The DROP statement is also normally commented out like
this -- DROP. Yes, I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy.)

Just my opinions.