This will sound naive. I apologize. I changed the DEVD to *INFO. I expected to see messages on QSYSOPR when I printed to a device that I had turned off. Nothing. Spool file went to *PND until I powered up the printer, then the spool file disappeared. Never saw anythin g on QSYSOPR. In this case, I received the result I wanted. But, the question comes to mind: why was nothing sent to QSYSOPR at all? Only guess I have is the severity level which is currently 10. Does that explain why no INFO message?

John McKee

-----Original message-----
From: jmmckee jmmckee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 21:02:51 -0500
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Repeitive device messages

I hadn't considered trying *INFO for messages. Wasn't sure if there would be other consequences. Since the printer is looked at frequently, there doesn't seem to be a down side to this. But, wouldn't the message still be sent as long as the condition existed?

Here is the devd:

CRTDEVPRT DEVD(CVLP001) DEVCLS(*LAN) TYPE(3812) MODEL(1) +

LANATTACH(*IP) PORT(9100) ATTACH(*DIRECT) ONLINE(*YES) +

FONT(11 *NONE) FORMFEED(*AUTOCUT) SEPDRAWER(*FILE) +

PRTERRMSG(*INQ) MSGQ(*CTLD) ACTTMR(170) INACTTMR(*SEC15) +

LINESPEED(19200) WORDLEN(8) PARITY(*NONE) STOPBITS(1) +

TRANSFORM(*YES) MFRTYPMDL(*LEXOPTRAS) PPRSRC1(*LETTER) +

PPRSRC2(*LETTER) ENVELOPE(*NUMBER10) ASCII899(*NO) +

IMGCFG(*NONE) CHRID(*SYSVAL) RMTLOCNAME('10.50.52.220') +

WSCST(BSYOBJ1/LEXOPTRAS) SYSDRVPGM(*HPPJLDRV) +

TEXT('Cardiovascular Lab - Lexmark Network Printer') +

PUBLISHINF(*UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *BLANK +

(*UNKNOWN))

Related question I could research Monday when I am back at work is how *INFO would effect the forms change message. I use the reply list now to send a G to the message. I am assuming that a forms change message (CPA3394) would still be sent as *INQ since it isn't device error related, but from the writer job itself (a guess on my part).

John McKee