From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of darren@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:36 AM
To: midrange-l
Subject: Physicals or Logicals or both on an SSD

We currently have all data files in a certain library assigned to SSD
(IBM's Solid State Drive). The library is an MRP solution called BPCS.
I'm not up on the science of how logicals are managed, and my question
is, is there an advantage to having both logicals and physicals on the
SSD.
I've found that they can be separate, so that one or the other may be
assigned to standard HDD's. The SSD's are of limited size compared to
our regular HDD storage, and I'm considering whether performance
wouldn't be too badly impacted if I moved one of these object types off
of the drive.

I don't see a lot of discussion in technical documents on the use of
SSD's, so I'm hoping maybe someone here has some ideas.

Thank you in advance.