The virtual terminal APIs documented at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/apis/vt1a.htm

With these APIs, and a knowledge of 5250 data stream, you can have an
application program do anything a user might do. In my applications I
generally provide an exit point where the user can easily alter the behavior
of the "programmed user" as different situations arise. The exit point is
very useful when automating "work with" functions -- I provide a recommended
default to the exit program and the program can either OK my recommendation
or override it based on it's own logic (which knows nothing of the APIs or
5250, just the business logic of what is called for).

Bruce