Interesting, it looks like this is broke for sensitive cursors prior
to IBM i 7.1 as there is a PTF for 7.1 but I've not found one for v5r4
yet...

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas3c6542f0b463a266a8625770700526df0
SI38164 - OSP-DB-OTHER-UNPRED DB2_NUMBER_ROWS SQLERRD2 NOT SET FOR SEN

APAR Error Description / Circumvention

SQL GET DIAGNOSTICS DB2_NUMBER_ROWS and SQLCA SQLERRD2 return 0
for sensitive cursors.

CORRECTION FOR APAR SE41364 :
SQL diagnostic area and SQLCA are correctly set. Database
processing now matches the SQL Reference.

Charles