From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kurt Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:02 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: System slow-down - disk usage?

Thought I'd bounce a couple things out there to see what people think.

We've identified the slow-down cause, and it has to do with us checking
every record we process against a file of records that we've previously
processed. If that "previous" file starts off empty, the program starts off
screaming along. However, 20 million records later, when the previous file
is at 20 million records, the program has slowed down considerably. (Just
using 20 million as an example, it's really a gradual decline in
performance.)

We check this Previous file by doing a SETLL on it. If we get a hit, we
kick out the record we're processing, otherwise we write the record to the
Previous file and continue along.

I also noticed that when the program is running with a large Previous file,
that the page/fault ratio closes in on 3:1. Is this because the SetLL is
moving through so much data? (No other batch jobs were running, and we have
very little interactive use.)

We are looking at getting more main memory (as well as aux storage), but I'm
trying to think outside the box... is there a way for me to perform this
previous check without flooding the memory?

Thanks,

-Kurt