If you reply with C anyway, why not set the job to INQMSGRPY(*DFT) (on the
SBMJOB or via CHGJOB)? The default repoly for that ID is a C.

Of course, that means that any other messages will also receive the default
reply, which may not be what you want.

Why is it acceptable to simply cancel backup when a device isn't ready?
Seems to me that should be good enough cause to make a trip.

Dennis Lovelady
"There are many in this old world who hold that things break about even for
all of us. I have observed for example that we all get the same amount of
ice. The rich get it in the summertime and the poor get it in the winter."
-- Bat Masterson

Ours is a lights out shop so no one is around at 1am when the backup
kicks off. Normally the person on night duty gets paged for any hard
errors that show up on the qsysopr msgq.

We have a CL pgm that runs the STRBKUBRM command. Here's the CL:

STRBKUBRM CTLGRP(&BRMGRP) SBMJOB(*NO)
MONMSG MSGID(BRM10A1)
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000 BRM0000 CPA0000) EXEC(DO)
RBTALRLIB/RBASNDMSG MSG('Backup failure - Some kind of +
tape or tape drive issue -- Attention +
required') TOPG(OPSEMAIL) RSP(*NO)
ENDDO

Problem is that the BRM10A1 (info) message occurs and is followed with
CPA4086 message which causes a halt in the night job stream waiting for
a C or R to continue. However I DO get the email so I know some part
of
the monmsg routine is working.

What happens is that I get paged (1am) and have to get up and reply
with
a C so the night jobstream can continue.

IBM support tells me that I can't monitor for the CPA4086 message
because its not listed as monitorable by the STRBKUBRM command help.

That just doesn't seem plausible.

Any help on this one?

Jerry

BRM10A1 is a benign message that is generally of no concern to us so I
monitor for that message and do nothing.

Any other message (CPF, BRM, or CPA) cause an email to be sent to the
OPS email group (using Robot). This alerts us so that we know the
backup failed.

Here is a frag from the job log:

Message: Starting SAVSECDTA to device TAP01.
Cause: Security data is being saved to devices TAP01.

BRM1483 Information 40 06/02/10 00:05:22.692360
Message : Volume 000401 cannot be used at this time.

CPA4086 Sender copy 99 06/02/10 00:07:41.105672
QTAERR QSYS 0129 QTAERR Q
Message : Device TAP01 was not ready or next volume was not loaded.
(C R)
Cause : Either the device TAP01 is not ready or the next tape
volume is not loaded on TAP01. Recovery . . . : Do one of the
following: -- Type C to cancel processing. -- Make device TAP01 ready,
and type R to try the open operation again.

Best,

Jerry