Here is something else to throw into the mix:
http://www.mcpressonline.com/programming/rpg/use-a-logical-file-layer-to-minimize-recompiles-from-field-additions.html

The essence is that you use LF's that explicitly include the fields that are needed for the particular application, instead of all the fields in the underlying physical. It is a concept somewhat similar to using SQL views, but is more comfortable if a shop isn't into SQL.

Note that there is some effort required to retrofit it to an existing system, but once done it can make the next change a whole lot simpler.

I'd also like to support Charles Wilt's suggestion to abstract business logic into callable routines. Makes changes so much easier.

Sam