Since the client and server component are in the same codebase, I wanted to
just have a look at the working of both.
I don't think the AIX version of the server component will perform better
(but couldn't try), because in fact the Softlandings port is using the same
code, except that it is compiled to ILE C serviceprograms. I agree with you
that performance of the SVN server on i is way behind that on a Wintel or
Linux platform. We are using VisualSVN here on a Windows box, and it
performs very well.

For this project I would also focus on the client side only. Enough to do
there;-)
Regards,
-Arco