Evan,

This is one of the very few times I use the graphical interface. You have to have the BRMS plugin loaded into System i Navigator.
Go into Back up policies. (Back up policies are a renamed way of referring to back up control groups as of V6R1 and not to be confused with what used be called the back up policy at V5R4)
Right click on the appropriate policy
Click on the "During" button
Select the back up item that you are interested in, that will enable the "Omits" button on the right
Press the "Omits" button to open the dialog
You can then enter into that dialog the object(s) you need to omit from that line in the backup policy/control group.

When viewing the green screen version of the control group, you can see if there omits in place for that line by pressing F14 under the column BRMS Client Omits, but you can only manage them from the GUI.

Remember when doing full system saves and other periodic full saves to use the option on the STRBKPBRM command to ignore the omits in the control group. That way those objects will get onto a tape at some point keeping a recovery somewhat more simple.......

Hope this helps.

Jim Oberholtzer
CEO/Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects, LLC