From: Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05/25/2010 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: Subversion and RPG source change management

Sorry, it's taking time for me to get up to speed on this. I'm
alternating between reading this discussion and a Subversion tutorial, to
better understand terms like "branch", "tag", "trunk", and "property".

As a software company, we might use a branch to separate custom code for
specific customers. We'd try to keep that to a minimum, however. And we
wouldn't intend to merge that back into product mainline code, otherwise,
we'd probably add it to mainline source files to begin with, as a separate
source member.

So, as we consider the requirements of an IBM i SVN client, my inclination
would be to leave "branching" outside the scope; at least initially. Some
might use a PC based product to merge branches, then later synchronize
them with appropriate IBM i libraries, manually. Branches might be
treated as an exception to the rule. Instead, I'd scope the IBM i client
to focus on keeping library source files in sync with corresponding
directories in repository trunks.

Subversion properties seem like an ideal facility for keeping meta data
for source members, such as member descriptions. That would be a good way
to update member descriptions on separate working copies, on separate
servers, if that need were to arise.

We'd want to use tags for major cut-off releases. We wouldn't intend
change cut-off's. Again, we wouldn't intend to merge cut-off releases
with future development. Or, that would be an exception, to say the
least.

I'm okay with handling exceptions, perhaps using a PC based client, rather
than an IBM i based client, if push comes to shove.

- Nathan.