Hi Charles,

I'm pretty sure he meant to say hostname not URL...

Thanks for explaining that... I wasn't getting that point. It didn't even occur to me that he might be using the wrong terminology... but now that I go back and re-read it, it makes a lot of sense. He was comparing "URL" to IP address throughout, I should've figured it out from that...

He clearly meant domain name (or "host name") rather than URL.

Domain names are supported on all releases, Rex. All the way back to v3r1. You have a problem with your DNS resolver and/or host table.

Just for clarity, this is a host name:

www.scottklement.com

This is a URL:

http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/ifs.html

The host name only identifies an address to connect to. A URL identifies the protocol to use, the host name, the directory containing a resource, and the object/file name you want to access.

For example, in FreeBSD's FTP client, I can do this:

> ftp ftp://ftp.example.com/pub/downloads/example.zip

Without the need to create a script or anything else, this connects to ftp.example.com, switches to the /pub/downloads directory, and GETs the example.zip file. All in one line, all without a script. I can run the above command directly from my program to do a download.

On IBM i, I would have to do this:

Source member: MYSCRIPT

anonymous ftp@password
cd /pub/downloads
get example.zip
quit

Then I'd have to do:

OVRDBF FILE(INPUT) TOFILE(MYFILE) MBR(MYSCRIPT)
FTP RMTSYS('ftp.example.com')
DLTOVR INPUT

So that's two source members, and 7 lines of code to do what could be done in one line of code if it had URL support. (Both examples used a host name.)