What Charles said... :)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Wilt" <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: OCL Documentation

Jeff,

Yes and no...

In my mind, in order to use some new thing you must stay up to date on
what's available. Too many people in the RPG world, though not
necessarily this list, don't bother with new techniques unless they
have an immediate need. Which means that at some future point even
though a new technique would benefit them, they don't recall it and
end up solving the problem in some roundabout way using old
techniques.

At the same time, in my mind in order to recognize that something new
would help, you need at least some experience with it. So if I hear
about something new, I try to make use of it even if it doesn't
provide a benefit over the old way for a given problem.

So to me, solving problems is the reason for being....but being able
to say "yea, I can do that" means I've always got the best tools
available.

Charles