On 5/18/2010 2:47 PM, Dennis Lovelady wrote:
Wow, it's been a while but I thought ?4R?/Y means "required." ?4? will
still prompt if not present, as I recall.

No, ?4? would return an empty string if not present. ?4R? would prompt for input if not present (but only if _not_ present.)

I don't know where you'd find such a manual. If you can find V4 stuff at
publib.boulder.ibm.com, perhaps you can find it there.

FWIW, I have links to all of the releases that I could find on my web site here:
http://www.scottklement.com/infocenter/

They go back to V3R0M5 -- the oldest release I could find online. Some of the links in the older ones don't work any more. The S/36 Environment Reference was found here however:
http://tinyurl.com/35fluty

Dennis Lovelady
"Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your
life."
-- actress Brooke Shield