... and especially when it comes to open source projects (which are a hobby of mine) I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars (euros) for a box. This is where IBM must step in and offer at least a platform/host on which I can develop some open source software. I don't know why IBM does not recognize that this would be very beneficial to them.

My 0.02 â

Mihael

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DeLong, Eric
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 6:50 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: IBM i hosting "in the cloud"

Which is why IBM need to do this... Building a development community (Rational CafÃ's, DeveloperWorks, etc) is great, but if the little guys can't afford to buy/lease a box to work on, then it means nothing...

I'd like to participate in some open source projects, but I cannot because I do not have a host to develop on. I can't use my employer's hardware to host personal development projects... The timeshare services do not offer current OS, tooling, etc. How would a timeshare pay licensing for WDS (SEU/SDA/RLU seat charge)? IBM is the only supplier that could pull this off.

-Eric